Assistive technology “MacGyver” Therese Willkomm, Ph.D., returns with her third book of low-cost approaches for taking ordinary items and turning them into extraordinary solutions for individuals with disabilities. This book is about the joy of creating and making thousands of different assistive technology solutions to maximize independence at home, workplace, school, and communities for individuals who experience various limitations. Dr. Willkomm states:
It is the most comprehensive Assistive Technology (AT) Makers book I’ve ever written. I filled it with over 1500 images including over 500 QR codes for instant access to short YouTube videos and resources showing how to make the various AT devices.
The first chapter focuses on tools, materials, and techniques for the rapid fabrication of assistive technology solutions using low-cost/no-cost materials; the last chapter provides QR Code access to the tools, materials and resources described throughout the book. The chapters in between focus on the solutions and devices or modifications for smartphones, iPads; mobility impairments; self-care; eating and drinking; reading and writing; reaching and holding; communicating; solutions for blind and low vision; and assistive technology ideas for leisure and play.
- Assistive Technology Resource List
- Tips and Resources - 508 Compliant Documents Web Materials and Presentations
- Amazon Echo Smart Speakers (compiled Summer 2019)
- Comparison Between Devices
- Fabrication Tools and Materials for Making Solutions in Minutes
- Exciting Electronics
Apps, Adaptations, and Accessory Development
- Vision App Comparison
- Best Apps Selected by Therese Willkomm
- Awesome Apps Adaptations and Resources
- Sites to Help Select Apps for Children with Special Needs
- iPad Accessories and Resources
- 101 Uses for the iPad iPhone Camera for Employment of Persons with Disabilities
- Early Childhood/Special Education/Assistive Technology - Features Matching
- 101 Uses for the iPad and iPhone Camera for Persons with Disabilities
- Scanning Box
- Making an Eileen
- Flag Pole Brackets
- Upside Down Flagpole Brackets
- Pink Board Solutions
- Creating a Sock Aid
- The Mini Eileen
- Homemade Eye Gaze Board
- Portable Podium
- Creating a Momentary Switch
Accessibility Webinar Series
The Accessibility Webinar Series offers resources to help individuals learn how to design, create, and produce products to be used by as many people as possible; both those living with a disability and without. Each webinar encompasses unique and evolving solutions for including more people in meaningful ways.
Please visit the Institute on Disability's Assistive Technology Online Resource selection. Here, you will find state, general, employment, and inclusive education resources as it relates to assistive technology.