Kathy Bates

“Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity’... Disability is an art, a way of living that requires constant ingenuity.” - Neil Marcus        

Playwright, actor, and poet, Neal Marcus is most famous for his award-winning play, Storm Reading. First produced in the late ’80s, the play had a nearly 10-year run and was voted one of the top ten plays in Los Angeles in 1993. Marcus created the hilarious and thought-provoking play to illustrate some of his life experiences as a man with Dystonia, a significant neurological disability. Marcus’ work challenged the way people thought about disability and paved the way for people with disabilities in the performing arts field. His activism helped shape disability culture during the independent living movement.

Disability is often seen as a weakness or illness, but disability should not be defined in this way. Do you remember that TV show MacGyver, about a secret agent who could get himself out of any imaginable disaster with a paperclip, some chewing gum, and a piece of string? It was one of my favorites, probably because people with disabilities often have to channel their inner MacGyver to fight for independence. For example, I have this overhead fan in my bedroom with lights that I used to be able to turn on and off with a remote, but for some reason, it doesn’t work anymore. So, I invented a long string tied to the cord with a binder clip at the end that I attach to my comforter. And now, I can operate my light—at least until I replace the fan. My house is filled with all kinds of contraptions and gadgets like this.

This ability to MacGyver things, as I call it, got me thinking, “Do people with disabilities have specific skills or strengths, not despite their disabilities, but because of them?” When I was younger, I used to take messages when my parents were working. I couldn’t write and talk on the phone at the same time, which meant that I had to remember numbers and write them down after I hung up the phone. To this day, remembering numbers come easily to me. Another skill I have is my ability to express myself through writing. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding me when I talk, but I sure know how to get my point across with my written words.

I decided to explore this idea further with some of my friends. I talked with my extremely talented friend John about his artistic abilities. He is legally blind and spent a lot of time in the hospital when he was young. He said, “I am one of the most empathetic people you’ll ever want to meet, and I know it’s probably due to my Disability. When I was a kid, I really had nothing to do, except sit around in my hospital bed and draw. This allowed me to really develop my skills as an artist.” John also often uses his artistic talents to advocate for disability rights.

Shelley, a friend of mine who has Cerebral Palsy and uses a wheelchair to get around, frequently depends on the public bus system. Shelley says, “I always need to know where I’m going and when to get off the bus.” Shelley can’t drive, so she relies on her sense of direction to navigate to where she needs to go. She told me, “even as a child I was good at recognizing landmarks and knowing how long it would take to get to my destination.” Because of this skill, Shelley doesn’t have to rely on a driver and has made a lot of friends on the bus.

My friend Maureen sustained a spinal cord injury shortly after graduating college with a degree in Journalism. I asked her if she could think of any skills that she has developed as a result of becoming disabled. She said, “I became more persistent. A doctor asked me about my goals. I knew I wanted three things, I wanted a job writing for a newspaper, I wanted to have a second child, and I wanted to learn to drive again. I’ve done all of these things.” She also said, “I had to learn to be more organized, plan ahead, and better at scheduling.” These are essential skills for anyone who needs support throughout the day.

Disability represents both physical and emotional change, and that change is not necessarily a weakness. Hopefully, with acceptance, there’s opportunity for growth. My friend Michele told me that, “the need to learn how to advocate for herself and others became a necessity as her disability progressed.” Michele was trying to get a job, any job, with vocational rehab’s help, but that just wasn’t working out. So, Michelle got creative and employed herself, “I always loved to sketch, but I never painted before I participated in an art class held at my apartment building.” Michele started her own business called Watercolors by Michele, and now sells her artwork, such as cards, t-shirts, and posters, online.

When reviewing the conversations, I had with my friends, I realized that we were all creative people. We’re also great advocates, not only for ourselves, but for others. I found it interesting that I had surrounded myself with so many like-minded people. The other trait that was a theme in our conversations was the concept of being empathetic. Just about everyone I talked to mentioned how they are more accepting of differences because of their disabilities.  

From Where I Sit… 

Before I began writing this blog, I never really thought about disability pride, which can be defined as accepting and honoring each person’s uniqueness and seeing it as a natural and beautiful part of diversity. I thought, “why should I be proud of having a disability?” I know that disability is part of every culture in every corner of the world. Disability is not right or wrong. It’s just a natural part of life.

It’s important to focus on our personal growth by recognizing our strengths and what we can do, rather than dwelling on what we can’t. We are talented not despite our disabilities, but because we’re talented. If disability is ever truly going to be seen as diversity, then we need to own that. I’ve always known that people with disabilities are very good at thinking outside the box. Creativity and problem solving may not come naturally at first, but in my experience, these traits become a natural part of life for us as we become more aware of our own needs. This was evident in all my interviews.

I also believe that these skills and talents are why many people with disabilities should be encouraged to enter the workforce. I’m not saying that anyone’s self-worth should be measured by their productivity or their ability to demonstrate these skills. Visibility, participation in community life, and advocacy are essential tools in the fight against the stigma that surrounds disability. This stigma is what clouds our view of disability and makes it difficult to perceive it as a natural part of diversity.    

Categories